- Energy and Industry
- Nuclear Power
- Power Delivery
- Fossil Power
- Oil & Gas
- Laboratory & Material Engineering
- EPC & Construction Management
- Project Controls
- Life Sciences
- Financial Services
- Energy and Industry
- The Altran Delivery Model (ADM)
Transmission & Distribution
Altran provides the highest quality services in all engineering disciplines to utility, industrial, commercial, and institutional customers as well as to independent power producers, rural electric co-operatives, municipal electric companies, and others involved in the production, transmission, distribution and utilization of electric power.
With clients throughout the country, Altran engineers and designs complete power distribution systems, additions, modifications, and equipment replacements – both planned and emergency. We have experience engineering and designing low voltage equipment whether out on the lines, in a facility or in a substation for all distribution voltages.
As a customer centric organization, we are prepared to develop the appropriate design packages whether it’s in accordance with client specific design standards or with Altran's design standards. Our engineers are considered the best trained, most experienced professionals in the industry. Their experience comes from years of working for and with utilities and independent power producers. This intimate knowledge of the needs and requirements of a utility enable our engineers to quickly and efficiently design the appropriate solution.
Typical examples of projects Altran Solutions has designed include:
- Feasibility studies and conceptual layouts
- Turnkey EPC package to owner standards
- Grounding system analysis and design
- Project and Construction Management
- Overhead and underground electric utility infrastructure design (primary or secondary)
- Transformer application analysis
- Fuse coordination and line protection
- Metal-clad and metal-enclosed switchgear applications
- Downtown underground and complex network systems
- Development of material & equipment specifications
- Material procurement services
- Cable replacement projects
- Line and facility upgrades
- Re-conductoring for system growth
- Line relocations for roadway improvements (DOT projects)
- Engineering to facilitate for communications or other attachments
- Load studies & Reliability analysis
- System planning / system improvements
- On-site or off-site engineering staff augmentation
- Reinforcements to support structures
- Emergency replacement of support structures.
- Installation of capacitor banks
- Protective relay schemes for:
- Distribution Feeder Protection
- Transformer & Bus Protection
- Capacitor Protection
Our comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach allows us to handle complete designs including: site grading and cut and fill; foundations for structures, poles, transformers, and circuit breakers; SPCC for oil filled equipment; support structures; cable, conduit, cable trench, and duct banks, low voltage AC and DC panels.
Altran has designed miles of distribution and transmission lines up to 500kV.
Services included all electrical, civil and structural engineering and design, as-built drawings, and construction management.
For instance, the 2.3-mile long 500kV line design was based on PJM and NESC Standards for a normal loading of 568 MW at unity power factor.
Other examples of projects include the heightening of 345kV transmission lines between two substations due to the construction of a new reinforced concrete railroad bridge. To obtain the required 20' clearance, it was necessary to raise the existing suspension span of double bundle 795 ACSR to a heigh of 40' above the existing grade. It was also necessary to add two additional structures.
Altran also designed a by-pass for 138kV transmission lines and temporary overhead feeders.